Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Seasons of Change

By request, I've compiled a list of seasonal vegetables to go along with my earlier rant about eating what's in season. (Actually I stole all the info from Alice Waters' cookbook Chez Panisse Vegetables. Thanks Alice!). I've been lucky enough to have worked in a nice restaurant for many years that changed their menus with the seasons, so I've grown accustomed to the idea. I also love to grow my own vegetable so I've seen first hand what grows when. But this definitely doesn't mean that I only eat whats in season all of the time. I'm completely guilty of eating green beans in the middle of winter or asparagus in the fall (if I can afford it), so don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we have to be militant, just keep it in mind!

Also, I'm lucky enough to live in the agricultural capital of the world here in California, so it's obviously easier for me to eat what's in season year round. For people who live where it snows in the winter or where no people were actually meant to live (ie. Las Vegas) it's going to be much more difficult to eat local, in season veggies year round. But since it pretty much seems to be that only my family reads this blog and they all live in California, here's my list!!

Spring
Artichokes
Asparagus
Broccoli (early)
Chicories
Fava Beans
Fennel
Garlic
Onions
Peas

Summer
Green Beans
Beets
Corn
Cucumbers
Eggplant (mid summer to early fall)
Fennel (early)
Garlic
Onions
Peas (early)
Peppers (mid)
Potatoes (mid)
Shallots (best)
Tomatoes
Zucchini (and other summer squashes)

Fall
Artichokes (early)
Green Beans
Beets
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts (late)
Celery root
Chicories (mid)
Fennel
Garlic
Kale (late)
Onions
Parsnips (late)
Peppers
Potatoes
Winter Squash
Sweet Potato

Winter
Beets
Broccoli (early)
Brussel Sprouts
Celery Root
Chicories
Kale
Parsnips
Potatoes (early)
Winter Squash (Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti, Pumpkin, etc.)
Sweet Potato

Year-Round
Avacado
Dried Beans
Cabbage
Carrots (best in spring and summer)
Cauliflower (best in fall and early winter)
Celery
Chard (late spring through winter)
Leeks
Lettuces (various types throughout the year)
Mushrooms
Radishes (best in spring and fall)
Spinach (best in spring and fall)

ps. There's a lot more than what's on this list, this is just an idea!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Looks like all the veggies we have in our fridge right now are in season! Now I just need to actually eat them... After my comps exams, I'm going to find which farmers' markets are open on Saturdays so I can get yummy produce on the weekends.